查看: 4241|回复: 9

A note from the missing hiker

[复制链接]
扫一扫,手机访问本帖
发表于 2008-12-8 14:39:59 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
[轉貼]出自Club Tread

週六失蹤hiker的短訊.

Just a brief note.

A great thank you to the North Shore Rescue. They deserve all the money I have donated to them in the past and more.

Thank you everyone for your kind comments. I hadn't had time to read everything here, but I'll read them in due course.

The fog rolled in even before it got dark. In some places, it was so thick you could not see the fingers in front you if you put your hand out, and it drizzled all night long. I knew I had to hunker down for the night. I just could not see anything for any distance. I left my GPS at home because the trip was not meant to be a long trip, as it turned out to be. I was going there to check out the snow conditions and the lines that I can ski over at Strahan. A couple of hours quick trip only.

When I was going up, I decided to bag peaks instead. But then no one knew where I was because the trip was only meant to be a short trip. I called 911 to make sure that North Shore Rescue knew where I was, just in case. I should have just called Anja instead. But the reception was very poor. Then the battery died.

I actually had great fun during the night, exploring the moutain, which I never would have done if it had been a regular up & down trip. I knew what I was doing, and was never at any risk. At day break, I went back to the places that I had gone to put in some reference points where I went during the night. I bagged the peak the second time essentially to find the power lines which I followed straight down, including carefully downclimbing cliff faces etc. and out I went. I ran into a group of NS Rescuers on the road. Oh yeah, thank you for the cranberry juice and banana. That hit the spot.
 楼主| 发表于 2008-12-8 14:53:36 | 显示全部楼层
這篇短訊很有趣.
大家看後,有何觀感,
发表于 2008-12-8 15:14:52 | 显示全部楼层
[quote="ALEXYIM"]這篇短訊很有趣.
大家看後,有何觀感,[/quote]

I actually had great fun during the night, exploring the moutain, which I never would have done if it had been a regular up & down trip. I knew what I was doing, and was never at any risk.

Y should we talk about a guy who was NEVER at any risk. When others worried about him, he had great fun.

Axxxxxx
发表于 2008-12-8 19:42:10 | 显示全部楼层
【明報專訊】一名華裔男子前晚在西溫登山,結果因為任意更改計劃而迷路。男子致電911尋求協助,終於在北岸搜救隊及直升機的協助下,於昨日下午被成功救下山。

57歲梁姓華裔男子(L. Leung)前日傍晚登上Hollyburn山,結果在山上迷路。梁姓男子致電911求助,當局立即通知北岸搜救隊上山,終於在昨日下午找到他的蹤影,並以直升機將男子救下山。

梁姓男子下山後對傳媒表示,原本僅打算上山一小時,因此沒有向其他人說明自己將會登上何處。等發現自己迷路後,嘗試致電911求助,卻發現電話不停斷線,無法充份報告自己的位置。

梁姓男子認為自己運氣好,因為前晚山上並不是太冷。他指自己學到重要一課,下次登山前一定會通知他人,並且不會隨意更改原訂計畫。

北岸搜救隊表示,梁先生是一位有經驗的登山者,即使如此,在大雪紛飛的山中,仍然可能迷路,公眾更要小心。
 楼主| 发表于 2008-12-8 21:27:44 | 显示全部楼层
當事人在Club Tread澄清他當時的決定.

I did not have time to read through in detail everyone's post. I'll write a trip report to show what I did and what I did not do when I have a bit of time.

But I would like to quickly explain about the calls I made. Before the call to 911, I thought about calling Anja first to let her know where I was, at least some one should know. However, I did not want to put the stress and burden on her to decide if and when I did need help. I was in the thick of it and I should be the one to make that call.

My intent was to call North Shore Search and Rescue directly to let them to know I was up there and the fog was so thick that I could not see anything. I wanted them to monitor the situation for me until 3 or 4 pm the next day and by that time, I should have been out. I did not have the number for North Shore SAR, so I call 411 for the directory three or four times, but I got no signal.

Then I decided to call 911. I was told that I tried 6 or 7 times. What I wanted to do was to explain that I was lost and that SAR please hold off until tomorrow. I got the first part through but the line would not hold long enough for the second part, so I kept on trying until the battery went dead on me.

Let me repeat and stress again how much I appreciate the efforts that the Search and Rescue team have put in to assist me. For that, I'll be forever grateful. We are so, so lucky to have such wonderful, wonderful people to assist us in time of need and crisis. I hope that I did not come across in any way as to diminish the efforts of SAR. If I did, I was wrong and I did not mean it that way.

Merry Christmas, everyone, and yes, Santa will be on its way to the Search and Rescue team.

Bye for now.

當事人不打電話給朋友, 打911或拯救隊要求他們留意事態至3pm或4pm才拯救他.

個人認為打911或拯救隊要求拯救是絶對正確.

但要求他們留意事態至3pm或4pm才拯救他, 這做法好像有點問題.
他們的工作是拯救. 要是我們每次出發也打911或拯救隊要求他們留意, 這好像不是他們的工作.  我們每次出發也是找Lulu或其他同學幫忙.

要明白到911或拯救隊他們是專業的, 一收了求救電話, 一定會立時計劃行動. 怪不得911要求不是緊急,千萬不要亂打911, 但緊急,就要打.
 楼主| 发表于 2008-12-8 21:46:31 | 显示全部楼层
第二點要留意是, 手提電話用來求救是一個非常重要的工具,
但全心只帶一個手提電話,其它基本hiking工具不帶就有點兒那個了.
連基本工具也沒帶不可能說是experienced hiker.

如地圖,指南針,GPS等等.  Don't leave home without it.
发表于 2008-12-8 22:12:38 | 显示全部楼层
Originally posted by NS Explorer
[br]Larry,

I very much appreciate your last message, I have to say I was a bit taken back by your first message and the BS about bagging peaks.  I was out there all night looking for you along with many others and I was on at least one of those peaks, sign cutting in the sleet, and I can tell you you were not bagging any peaks that night my friend.  I am very happy you are safe.  

Doug
发表于 2008-12-8 22:16:42 | 显示全部楼层
又是晚上,又是一个人,天气也不好,又没人知道他的计划,essentials也基本上没带,在这种情况下,临时变更计划真是不应该,而且现在还是shoulder season,情况更险,还有别人说的往下走......
发表于 2008-12-8 22:48:02 | 显示全部楼层
In his first CT post it sounded like he didn't care about other people being worried about him and essentially showed off by saying he had time to put in some positions or markings and "bag peaks" while others are out establishing a rescue plan for him. He put others at risk by searching in bad weather with little information. And he called 911 so they could keep track of him. He didn't stay put in one location after making that call which is the cardinal rule, ie: Hug a tree.

I just think that no matter what he feel about his abilities it just doesn't add up to the judgement he showed for going out in that weather without some critical essential tools.

I also didn't like the way he showed off by bragging about his donations to the Rescue team. Is that supposed to make up for the fact that a helicopter could have crashed in that type of weather.
发表于 2008-12-9 15:16:25 | 显示全部楼层
[quote="lulululu"]I also didn't like the way he showed off by bragging about his donations to the Rescue team. Is that supposed to make up for the fact that a helicopter could have crashed in that type of weather.[/quote]

Do not waste time for this AxxxxxE, but fill up the spaces for this word. (I have added the last letter and it has 5 spaces left only).

The case is closed.
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

小黑屋|Archiver|手机版|北美户外俱乐部

GMT-8, 2024-5-21 04:05 , Processed in 0.062028 second(s), 6 queries , File On.

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表