注册
搜索
热搜: 活动 交友
查看: 6566|回复: 4

<dayhiking计划>Gambier Island-whole Island hiking

[复制链接]
扫一扫,手机访问本帖
发表于 2006-4-1 21:46:49 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
刚收到朋友的email,觉得我们也可以在四月底五月初试一下dayhiking全岛,我去年也到过Gambier Island,但只去了Gambier Lake,我们这次把岛上两个山头(103上的#42和#43)都走了,只是会比较辛苦,二十几公里,上上下下,而且要bushwhacking,上了609M的Mt. Artaban后再下到海平面,然后从岛中间穿过到了湖边再上爬到Mt.Liddell(903M),再下降到岛的另一边的海岸。总共二十三公里,爬高1500+M(我有全岛trail的地图)。

Hi Gloria:

Well, the following is NOT an April Fool joke.

I have been talking to some of you about hiking Gambier Island, and I mean the whole Island, for a while. It is time to put words into action. Last Nov, I hiked up to Gambier Lake. I did a survey of the trail  and discovered that it may be feasible to hike the whole Island in one day, 23 km, from the map provided by the Gambier Island Conservation Society. All the trails connected the whole Island are clearly set out in the map.  

This is a message for your expression of interest, so I can find the best time to do this hike. I am thinking about end of April & beginning of May.

From Horseshoe Bay, there is a scheduled water taxi going to the part of Gambier Island not serviced by BC Ferry. We'll take the water taxi to Camp Fircom at the South East corner of the Island and start to hike up and down Mnt. Artaban. We can see Howe Sound as we go up. After we hike down Mnt  Artaban, we traverse through the interior of the Island to the north west part and down to Gambier Lake. After Gambier Lake, we can take on Mnt Liddell and continue onto the town of New Brighton to catch the BC ferry to Langdale at the Sunshine Coast and from Langdale, we catch the ferry back to Horseshoe Bay and home.

Let me warn everyone that  the last ferry from New Brighton to Langdale is 6:30 pm. Based on my hiking on Gambier Island, I estimate if we do a disciplined hike, we can do the trail in about 9 hours, which allow us a margin of 1 hour if we start at 7:00 am at Horseshoe Bay. So you consider yourself a hiker, now is the real challenge. No one has done this hike before the way it is planned. Most people just follow 103 Hikes to hike either Mnt Artaban or Mtn Liddell, not the way it is planned here.

For your info, from 103 Hikes

Mtn. Artaban - elevation gain about 2000 ft, average grade 12.2 %
Mtn. Liddell - elevation gain about 1700 ft, average grade 6.9%

BTW - some bushwhacking may be required.
发表于 2006-4-2 21:08:15 | 显示全部楼层
In case we can not finish the whole island in a day, is there a place there to stay overnight?
 楼主| 发表于 2006-4-3 07:52:14 | 显示全部楼层
googoo
In case we can not finish the whole island in a day, is there a place there to stay overnight?

you can find a B&B there :lol:
发表于 2006-4-3 08:28:54 | 显示全部楼层
这个地方要坐船去还是租船去?
发表于 2006-4-3 15:42:59 | 显示全部楼层
游客
[quote]游客
[quote]lulululu
[quote]googoo

you can find a B&B there :lol:[/quote]
no camp site?[/quote]

you can easily find  camp sites on Gambier Island[/quote]

Perfect! Suggest that we locate a camp site for backing up. We should all bear in mind that no body else has done Gambie island in one day before.
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

小黑屋|Archiver|手机版|北美户外俱乐部

GMT-8, 2024-6-1 02:47 , Processed in 0.056242 second(s), 5 queries , File On.

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表